This article needs additional citations for verification. Please help improve this article by adding citations to reliable sources. Unsourced material may be challenged and removed. (June 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The topic of this article may not meet Wikipedia’s general notability guideline. Please help to establish notability by citing reliable secondary sources that are independent of the topic and provide significant coverage of it beyond its mere trivial mention. If notability cannot be established, the article is likely to be merged, redirected, or deleted.
Find sources: ”Peoples Church” – news · newspapers · books · scholar · JSTOR · free images (August 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Peoples Church “G.L. Johnson Chapel”.
Peoples Church is a Pentecostal megachurch that is affiliated with the Assemblies of God in Fresno, California, USA with 4,000-5,000 people attending each week. The church is led by Pastor Dale Oquist. The church campus includes Fresno Christian High School, a private school attended by students in grades K-12. Many people confuse Peoples Church as being non-denominational, but it is in fact proud to be part of the Assemblies of God, which is not a denomination, but is Classical Pentecostal. As Pastor Dale puts it, “We are Pentecostal with a seat belt.”
3 Creative arts
4 Peoples Church leadership team
6 External links
Peoples Church holds the following gatherings on Sundays:
Contemporary (band, orchestra and choir) – 9am and 10:30am in the Auditorium
Classic (hymns and familiar songs, video simulcast of the message) – 9am in the G.L. Johnson Chapel
IPC (Spanish gathering) – 10:30am in the G.L. Johnson Chapel
Encounter (young adult gathering) – 12:30pm in the Auditorium
Peoples Church was founded in 1954 by several families from the Fresno area. The first pastor, Rev. Floyd Hawkins, led the church from January 1955 to August 1959. He was followed by Rev. Guy A. Davidson who led the church until April 1963. Under his leadership the congregation of about 200 converted old turkey houses into their first building.
In 1963, Pastor G. L. Johnson replaced Davidson as head pastor. Under Johnson’s leadership, the church grew into a 2000-seat sanctuary in 1977 at the church’s current location at Cedar and Herndon Avenues. Since